Greathouse Cousins Home
Jacob Greathouse of Georgia Family- Jacob Greathouse
Death: Bef 15 Mar 1802 - , Columbia County, Georgia
Cause of Death:
• Land abstract: Greathouse, Jacob, 1 Jul 1758, #479 SW Peedee, Anson County, North Carolina. 77
• Tax List: 1763, , Anson County, North Carolina. He appears in Anson Co., NC Taxpayers (1701-1786) Vol l Compiled by Clarence E. Ratcliff. (Anson is on the border of NC/SC, formed from Bladen in 1750)
• He owned land in 1767 in .Anson County, North Carolina (now Georgia). 1767-There is a Jacob Greathouse of record in Anson County, NC -Jacob Greathouse was living in Wrightsborough Township, St. Paul's Parish (this area became Richmond County, GA in 1777 and Columbia County in 1790) by 1774 as Columbia County Deed Bk. N. p. 104 notes the sale of 500 acres of land by Joshua Grinage noting the land was "...granted Oct. 5, 1774 to Sir Patrick Houston, bounded at time of survey by Absolom Bedeel, Jacob Greathouse, John Sidwell & Jonathan Seel"
• He appeared on the 1790 , "Lost" census in , Richmond county, Gerogia.
Reconstructed census compiled from tax lists. polls, militia lists, etc.Jacob Groathouse' was listed as a resident of Richmond County, Gerogia
• Land quit claim: from the heirs of Jacob Greathouse, 15 Mar 1802. 45 1802, Mar 15 RELINQUISHMENT-John Castle, John Davis, Jacob Greathouse, and William Holden, of Columbia Co., and Catherine Jones, of Warren Co., heirs and distributees of estate of Jacob Greathouse, dec'd, do release and Quit Claim unto Abraham Perkins of Warren Co., one of the heirs of above dec'd. Greathouse, 45 acres of tract orig. granted said Greathouse on waters of Germany's Creek, known in distribution as Lot #2." p. 74. Tax Records of Warren Co, GA and Wilkes Co. GA.
Spouses and Children
1. Jacob Greathouse Jr. (Between 1752- ) 5,45
2. Sarah Greathouse (1738-1802)
3. Catherine Greathouse (1750-1799) 45
4. Deanna Greathouse (Abt 1760- )
5. Christian Greathouse (Abt 1762- )
6. Hannah Greathouse (Abt 1764- )
7. Anna Greathouse (Abt 1766- )
8. Isaac Greathouse (1768- )
There is speculation and some evidence that this Jacob Greathouse could be the same individual as Jacob Groethausen, son of Henry Groethausen.
Much of this infoormation was submitted by Chris H. Bailey and David Castro.
1772 - Page 20 Colonial Records Wrightsborough, The Georgia Genealogist: "Jacob Greathouse had land to him earlier, but with two additional children, he requested 100 acres in Wrightsborough Township. Approved (abt 1772)."
"9th May 1774, Greathouse, Jacob; 100 ac; in Wrightsborough Township in the Parish of St. Paul, bounded by vacant lands; Fiat No. missing; J.H. No. missing; 13 Feby. 1773."
May 15, 1784- Jacob Greathouse, Sr., by certificate of Greenbury Lee, Colonel, petitioned for 250 acres in Franklin County, GA, apparently bounty land, .
1791, Wilkes Co., GA "An Index to Georgia Tax Digest"
1789-1799 (Wilkes original territory, on border of GA/SC); Sarah Gratehouse, daughter of Jacob Greathouse, Jr. ,
6 Sep 1813, Isaac Funderburk, Guardian of Pernate and Purnine, bastard children of Sarah Gratehouse, John Cohoon and Moses H. Cogburn, sureties. "Some Georgia Records" Vol 1, Being some of the Legal Records of Clarke, Jasper, Morgan, Putnam, Oglethorpe and Greene Counties, Georgia", Compiled by Rev. Emmett Lucas, Jr. (Greene Co is just west of Wilkes Co. Greene Co formed 1786 from Washington, Oglethorpe, and Wilkes);
1820 Census, Clarke Co. GA (Clarke Co, just west of Wilkes, just east of Newton formed 1801 from Jackson and Greene)-
Children's birth, marriage and spouses. references: GA Marriages by Mary Bondurant Warren p. 54; Columbia County, GA, Early Court Records, GA Pioneers Pub. p. 74,75; Warren Co. GA Early Marriage Records p. 59; Index to the 1830 Census of GA. Gen Pub. 1974. p. 181; An Index to GA Tax Digests 1789-1799 Vol. l, 1986, p. 29; A 1790 Census for Wilkes Co.,GA, Frank Parker Hudson, 1988. p. 38; Some Early Tax Digests of GA., Ruth Blair, 1971, p 153, 254; An Index to GA Tax Digests 1800-1802, Vol. ll, 1986, p. 21, 29, 44, 63; Century of Warren Co., GA, Wills 1790-1890 & Early Marriage Records p.36, 59; Columbia Co.,GA Early Deeds and Will Abstracts, Joseph T. Maddox & Mary Carter, p. 5, 51, 52, 58, 73, 77, 80, 82, 118; Abstracts of Will Book A. 1794-1810, Warren Co.,GA Marilee Hageness, 1995, p. 14, 15; Our Heritage Personalities 1754-1983, Columbia Co.,GA, Janette Kelly, p. 120; Columbia Co.,GA Marriage Records 1791-1859, Frances T. Ingmire, 1985 p, 101; Marriage Records Barbour Co.,AL, Helen Sylvester Foley, p. 20, 101; 1860 Marriage Records Barbour Co., AL, Helen S. Foley, p. 3l.
1850 census: Abram Greathouse b. 1790/1800 d. 1844/1850, Chattanooga Co. GA wife Nancy b. 1806.GA d.after 1850 also married Thomas Glass and had: Male, Female, Female, Mary Winnie b. 13 Jan 1828, Fayette,GA 2. 20 Feb1870 Walker Co.GA. m. George Washington Clements. This is from Bell County,Texas History.